Question:

From Riga, Latvia:

I'm 22 years old and I'm Type 1 diabetic for a year and a half. I go in for sports and I'm treated by endocrinologist-homeopath. Till now I'm injecting only 8 units of insulin per day. My Hemoglobin A1c are in a target range.

I think it's homeopathy in general that helps me to reduce the amount of insulin needed to inject. If you don't believe in possibility of alternative medicine to help in the case of Type 1 diabetes, how do you explain the low dosage of insulin I manage with?

Answer:

I don't personally believe that the homeopathic component of your treatment is the explanation for your present low insulin needs. To begin with it is not uncommon in Type 1 diabetes, especially at your age, to see some restoration of your own insulin production after exogenous insulin is started, the so called honeymoon period. This can sometimes last for a year or longer; but in the end, the need for exogenous insulin increases to conventional levels.

Another possibility is that you have one of the Maturity Onset Diabetes in the Young (MODY) syndromes. In these cases there is an identifiable genetic abnormality which results in a deficiency in one of the enzymes concerned in glucose metabolism, most often one called glucokinase. Insulin needs in these cases may be quite small especially if the person takes vigorous exercise.

DO'B