Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

I am the mother of three children. My first, now 5 1/2, was econd, now 3, screened positive on the NIH screening tests at the age of 2. Besides keeping an eye open for symptoms in the baby, now 9 months old, I have been keeping him away from milk and milk products. However, I have heard so much contradictory information on the possible link between milk and diabetes, I wonder if I am putting us through unnecessary trouble. What is the current state of research on this issue? Also if it is a good idea to exclude milk from his diet, should that include foods like pancakes, which are clearly not "dairy", but are made with milk?

Answer:

You should be reassured to know that one of the world's leading experts on the question of whether cow's milk protein is a cause of diabetes was asked at a meeting recently whether he would allow his own infant to be given cow's milk. He answered that he would until such time as there was unequivocal evidence that he shouldn't. I think his views are entirely sensible.

[Editor's comment: The question of whether milk products may be implicated in causing diabetes is discussed in more detail in a previous question. WWQ]

[Editor's comment: See Cow's Milk Not Linked to Type 1 Diabetes for the latest research information. JSH]