From New Jersey, USA:

I am the mother of three children. My first, now 5 1/2, was econd, now 3, screened positive on the NIH screening tests at the age of 2. Besides keeping an eye open for symptoms in the baby, now 9 months old, I have been keeping him away from milk and milk products. However, I have heard so much contradictory information on the possible link between milk and diabetes, I wonder if I am putting us through unnecessary trouble. What is the current state of research on this issue? Also if it is a good idea to exclude milk from his diet, should that include foods like pancakes, which are clearly not "dairy", but are made with milk?

You should be reassured to know that one of the world's leading experts on the question of whether cow's milk protein is a cause of diabetes was asked at a meeting recently whether he would allow his own infant to be given cow's milk. He answered that he would until such time as there was unequivocal evidence that he shouldn't. I think his views are entirely sensible.

[Editor's comment: The question of whether milk products may be implicated in causing diabetes is discussed in more detail in a previous question. WWQ]

[Editor's comment: See Cow's Milk Not Linked to Type 1 Diabetes for the latest research information. JSH]