Question:

From Rome, Italy:

I'm male, 14 years old, in a "honeymoon" phase of IDDM. How can I realize that this period is finishing? Since a pair of months that I have discordant values on my glycohemoglobin; the last was 8.

Answer:

The honeymoon period is different for everyone. Sometimes there is a dramatic deterioration in blood sugars or a period when they fluctuate a lot. For others the decline in the body's own production of insulin is very subtle and the dose of injected insulin rises only gradually. I can't comment on your glycosylated hemoglobin because every laboratory has a different reference range. Ask your own doctor for information that will be directly relevant to you.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.