From the State of Washington, USA:

I am a school counselor and have an 8 year old student just diagnosed with Type 1. Upon return to school, he has become defiant and rude to the staff. This is also happening at home. Do you have any literature or suggestions to help deal with the emotional outbursts and how long should this behavior last? I understand that there is the anger component in dealing with a chronic illness but some new strategies would be useful.

This is so common as to be an expected response to the diagnosis of diabetes. Changing from normality to having to have injections and blood tests as well as sticking to a meal plan are enough to make any sane person a little frustrated and angry. Your pupil needs time and help to understand the emotions he's experiencing. You and his parents may need to request additional help via his diabetes team.

[Editor's comment: I highly recommend diabetes summer camp for newly diagnosed kids. Being around other kids with diabetes can help relieve some of the anger than comes with having diabetes. JSH]