From Charleston, West Virginia, USA:

I have a history of Type 2 diabetes in my family. My nine-year-old daughter had two tests in the past year for hypoglycemia. Both tests were positive. She continues to suffer from episodes of low blood sugar. Could this problem indicate that she may have diabetes? If not, can you list reasons why she may be experiencing this difficulty? I've read about the NiteBite and Zbar snack bars; would those be beneficial to her? She has a healthy appetite and eats a fairly balanced diet. Thank you.

You said your daughter tested "positive" twice for hypoglycemia. There are several questions that come to mind: What was the level of the blood sugar? Was this blood sugar taken when your child was symptomatic or as part of a glucose tolerance test? Is your child overweight, normal weight or losing weight?

A nine year old with documented spontaneous low blood sugars (laboratory determined low blood sugar on a properly processed blood specimen) should have a thorough evaluation by a pediatric endocrinologist before deciding to just treat the low blood sugars with diet.