Question:

From Rhode Island, USA:

I'm a 32 year old female, Type One diabetic since age ten. I began running on a daily basis close to two years ago. It has been like a miracle drug for my diabetes with a HA1C of 5.5 at my last checkup. Four months ago, after a five mile road race, I developed a stress fracture just below the joint in my upper right leg. Am I predisposed to such injuries as a diabetic? Is there any research information available on diabetic marathon running? Please help!

Answer:

I doubt that the stress fracture is related to diabetes.

See the International Diabetic Athletes Association website for more info on diabetes and sports, or write to

Paula Harper
President, International Diabetic Athletes Association
1647-B West Bethany Home Road
Phoenix, AZ 85015
800-898-IDAA Toll Free
602-433-2113
602-433-9331 Fax

WWQ