Question:

From San Rafael, California, USA:

I just saw an advertisement for a jet injector. I would like to know if it is "virtually" pain-free and reliable as a regular needle. Our daughter is 4 1/2 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 6 months ago. We are looking for an alternative to needles especially for the nighttime shots when she is asleep, and also some other means of injection since she accepts only the legs and these are now getting "bumpy." I appreciate any information you can give me on jet injectors or any other similar device on the market.

Answer:

This question was referred to several members of the Diabetes Team, who have each given an answer:

Answer from Jeff Hitchcock, parent of a child with diabetes:

Having tested a jet injector with my nine year old daughter, I can say that, when properly adjusted, the injection is painless. However, it requires pressure against the skin and the jet injection process is loud. There is a compressed spring inside the injector that, when released, forces the insulin out the nozzle and into the skin. This is what makes the noise.

If your goal is to inject and not wake your daughter while she is sleeping, a jet injector is not the answer. I suggest instead that you look into the new shorter and thinner needles of the B-D UltraFine II syringes.

JSH

Answer from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

The jet injectors are cumbersome, and none of the kids in our program have used them regularly.

A very simple device, called the Inject-Ease®, might help your daughter.

SS