Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

My sister is only 16 years old and she has diabetes. I am very concerned about her because she never takes care of herself and yesterday she confessed me she was pregnant. I don't know much about diabetes, but the type she has is the one that people gets two shots of insulin a day. I really worried about her because I know it's very dangerous for diabetics to have kids. Do you have any suggestions on what should she do? She acts as if it's nothing, when she told me, her and her boyfriend where talking about who was going to be the godmother and so on. I guess she doesn't quite know she's risking her life here. Please, what can I do to help her?

Answer:

I want to reassure you first that your sister is not necessarily risking her life. With proper attention to her diabetes during the pregnancy, she do well.

However, there are several important things that need to be done. First, she needs to see an obstetrician, preferably a perinatologist (an obstetrician who specializes in high-risk pregnancies). Determining how well your sister's blood sugar is controlled will have to done and improvements made if necessary. How far along in the pregnancy the fetus is will determine any additional risks posed to the fetus due to diabetes. Additional tests that should be done on your sister would be to assess how well her kidneys are working and what her blood pressure is, because these will have implications on the course of the pregnancy.