Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Mar 1997

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. A diabetic renal patient of ours has a grandson recently diagnosed with diabetes insipidus. She did not give me an age; I believe he is under 10. (30 Mar 97)

2. My daughter is 7 years old and has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes for one year now. We have been maintaining good control of her blood sugar. What complications will she expect to encounter in later life; at what ages and at what percent chance? (30 Mar 97)

3. My ten year-old daughter has Type 1 diabetes. We would like to know if this condition would make her baby teeth come out sooner than normal. (30 Mar 97)

4. I have 3 1/2 year old identical twins. Five months ago one of them was diagnosed with IDDM. Five months later the other got it. If Type 1 is genetic but is triggered by an environmental factor, then wouldn't the younger the child is when he/she develops diabetes, the greater the chance of an identical twin developing diabetes? (30 Mar 97)

5. Our 2-year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes just a few weeks ago. Now she is entering a honeymoon stage of diabetes. I read that there is a chance to prolong this stage using BCG vaccine. Where can we get this shot? (30 Mar 97)

6. I am 36 year old female, mother of four sons. I take 48 units of insulin a day. One of the doctors here wants me to try this new low carb diet. This goes against everything I have been told since being told I had Type 1. (30 Mar 97)

7. Several weeks ago, my 9-year-old son began infrequently wetting the bed at night. He began to complain of having to urinate 4 or 5 times during the school day. I dragged him to the doctor, who almost immediately diagnosed Diabetes. The problem is still the bedwetting. Is this related to the diabetes? (30 Mar 97)

8. For the past year my 6 year old son has been experiencing night sweats, increased thirst, drowsiness, and most recently, what appears to be seizures. His pediatrician says that my son is in a prediabetic state. I have been trying to find information on prediabetes and the effects of hypoglycemia on a school age child. (30 Mar 97)

9. My father recently became insulin dependent after taking a steroid shot for his shoulder. It has slowly gotten under control and we are wondering what the minimum blood sugar count should be. (30 Mar 97)

10. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed in December. How important is site rotation? She will only have injections in her stomach right now. Is it important to get her to go to other sites? Everything we read tells us to do site rotation, but she won't try another site. (29 Mar 97)

11. I'm 14 with Type 1 diabetes. Whenever I give an injection, I get a bruise so I was wondering how I can prevent this from happening. My legs, arms and stomach are pretty sore. I rotate sites evenly so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. (29 Mar 97)

12. It has been advocated that the interval between giving Regular insulin and eating should vary depending on the preprandial glucose level to allow time for the glucose to fall to normal levels. I have seen no such recommendations with the use of lispro, but the same logic would seem to hold. (29 Mar 97)

13. Is there any reason not to use Humalog and NPH under certain circumstances in conjunction with a basic regimen built on the use of Ultra Lente and Regular? (29 Mar 97)

14. We are having a difficult time with our 16 year old daughter and her diabetes. She eats the wrong foods. She religiously takes her shots, but many times will skip her counts. She hates us monitoring her. How can we help get her back on track? (29 Mar 97)

15. A colleague's child (age 3) has recently been diagnosed as having hereditary fructose intolerance. Where can I find more information about diets that are appropriate for this condition? (29 Mar 97)

16. When our 9 year old daughter was diagnosed, we were taught to pinch the skin at the injection site, insert the needle at a 90 - 45 degree angle, release the skin and inject the insulin. Recently I read that the needle should be inserted at a 90 degree angle and the skin "should be lifted while injecting." (29 Mar 97)

17. My 15 year old daughter has had diabetes since age 3. She has a history of learning difficulties. I've often wondered about the effect of fluctuating blood sugars on the learning process of people with diabetes over a long period of time. (29 Mar 97)

18. I want to bring up an issue, just to get it off my chest. What incentive does a company have to cure diabetes when there are 12 million individuals such as myself spending $8.00 to $10.00 a day on care products? (29 Mar 97)

19. I'm a 29 year old Type 1 insulin dependent diabetic, having been diagnosed 10 years ago. I also have hypoglycemia unawareness. Has this become more of a problem since the arrival of Humulin® insulin or could Humulin insulin be the/a cause of hypoglycemia unawareness? (29 Mar 97)

20. My husband (52 years old) has very recently been told by his doctor that he has "mild" diabetes and that he should cut down on things like pop, beer, fruit juice and fruit. Is this all he needs to do? (29 Mar 97)

21. We have a daughter diagnosed with diabetes a bit over a year ago. We measure blood sugar levels in MM but have learned that a different measurement is used in the United States. Can you provide me with an understanding of the measurement system in the United States and the manner of converting a reading in MM to the US equivalent? (29 Mar 97)

22. My 26 year old brother was recently diagnosed with Type 1; a bit of research found it on both sides of my family. Besides wanting to know how much of a role heredity plays, he has asked me to find him a very basic food conversion list. (29 Mar 97)

23. My daughter's blood sugars range from 37 to 350 sometimes in a matter of hours. Her A1C's have ranged from 8 to 18. We are considering putting her on a pump. Would we see a big difference in the control of her diabetes? She is 10 and has had diabetes for 6 years. (29 Mar 97)

24. Do Type 2 diabetics produce ketones? I was under the impression that Type 2's did not have to worry about ketones. (29 Mar 97)

25. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on December 23rd of last year at age 3 1/2. My wife was pregnant with our son while we lived in Houston. During our time there we often had to fumigate our apartment for fleas. Could exposure to such pesticides cause diabetes? (28 Mar 97)

26. My son was just recently diagnosed as Type 1 diabetes. He is 17 years old. During our regular checkup to the endocrinologist he discovered that his thyroid was sluggish. How much does the thyroid play into his diabetes, and could there possibly be a chance of the thyroid being misdiagnosed as diabetes? (28 Mar 97)

27. My 4.5 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 20 months. Recently my wife was up feeding the baby and saw my son having a seizure. A blood glucose test showed a level of 60 mg/dl. After the test, my son woke up, vomited a couple of times, and went back to sleep. (28 Mar 97)

28. I have a nine year old grandson who has just been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. If he goes into a honeymoon period, is there any way of extending this period? (28 Mar 97)

29. My son uses an Accu-check Advantage. What does HI actually mean on this meter? (28 Mar 97)

30. Our 4 year old son was diagnosed in the E.R. with Type 1 diabetes after being treated for flu-like symptoms for two days. In the E.R. he had severe ketoacidosis and later became comatose. He died two days later. How many children die this suddenly from complications related to diabetes? (28 Mar 97, updated 4 Apr 97)

31. Our 13 year old son who has had diabetes for 18 months has developed antibodies to beef, pork, and human insulin. His dosage is about 100 units a day. What does this mean and what do we do? (28 Mar 97)

32. I am a student at the University of Missouri-Columbia. I am also a member of the swim team. Yesterday, a friend on my team was diagnosed with diabetes. I am a little worried about him and am curious about what impact this will have on him as and athlete. (28 Mar 97)

33. I don't know about transplanted cells from another organism/person, but it seems to me that the news about cloning should enable the production of islet cells compatible with each individual. (28 Mar 97)

34. Our five year old son has Type 1, diagnosed 8 months ago. Our protocol is to administer one unit of Humalog when his sugars are over 300. He will drop 150 to 250 within 15-30 minutes of this injection. Does that hurt him in any way? (28 Mar 97)

35. I have been diabetic for a little over two years now, and it sucks. If there is anyone out there who wouldn't mind giving me a little advice about how they handled it when they grew up and went to college I would greatly appreciate it! (28 Mar 97)

36. I have a 5 year old daughter who, for the past couple of years, has had granulomas. They clear up with a steroid medication, but then come right back. She also vomits a lot. Do any of these symptoms go with being diabetic? (28 Mar 97)

37. I am a 30 year old Type 1 diabetic for 2 months. I am in remission now. My doctor wants me to start taking oral insulin capsules to prolong the remission period. (28 Mar 97)

38. I am a peer leader with a support group and have recently come across a lady who is at her wit's end. She has a 7 year old boy (diagnosed at 3) who is on Ritalin for ADD. Her concern is the lack of appetite her son has, seemingly as a result of the medication for ADD. (28 Mar 97)

39. I am a RN at our hospital's Wellness Center. I am having difficulty finding information on the "Honeymoon Phase" that can occur with individuals with diabetes. Could you please share any information with me? (28 Mar 97)

40. My niece, age 11, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about one year ago. Then I read at children with DIABETES that there was some research going on at the University of Miami regarding implantation of islets. What if any have been the results of that research? (25 Mar 97)

41. In your recent answer about mixing insulins, did you mean people do mix Regular and Lispro in the same shot? (25 Mar 97)

42. My 4 1/2 year old son was diagnosed Type 1 six months ago. The only problem is that he flatly refuses to use the toilet and wets and dirties himself. He also refuses to feed himself. We also have a six month old baby. Are his refusals likely to be purely jealousy of his baby brother or could they be diabetes related? (25 Mar 97)

43. Our three year old son has been waking up with small to medium ketones every morning for the past 5 days. He is a bit sluggish in the A.M. because of the ketones, but they are flushed out by mid morning. We don't want him to feel yucky in the A.M. Do you have any insight as to why this is happening? (25 Mar 97)

44. My son had high readings (250) two days in a row when being checked by his doctor for growth problems. His endocrinologist ran additional tests and says now that he is pre-diabetic. What is pre-diabetes? (25 Mar 97)

45. My 15 year-old son was diagnosed with Wolfram's Syndrome 5 or 6 years ago. Wolfram's is a complex set of conditions but basically it is Diabetes Mellitus and Diabetes Insipidus in the same patient, complicated with other problems. It seems no one has information on this. (23 Mar 97)

46. I'm trying to find out more info about insulin pumps. I have a 9 year old Type 1 has been for 4 years and I never feel that he is in good control. Now I am at my wit's end, because his last A1C was too high for me and I just feel something needs to be done. Just looking for more information on kids on the pump. (23 Mar 97)

47. I am 40 and have had Type 1 for 10 months now. During Christmas, I got extremely depressed and angry about having diabetes. I convinced myself I did not have diabetes and quit taking insulin for a couple of days. Is this emotional stuff due to diabetes, and if so, how do you control it? (23 Mar 97)

48. Melatonin has been recommended to us as a way to reduce the effects of jet lag on an overnight flight from Oregon to Washington, D.C. As a new diabetic, my son and I are looking for ways to minimize potential complications. Any thoughts? (23 Mar 97)

49. I am 30 and was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about seven weeks ago. Many of my symptoms match that of Type 1 diabetes. My doctor diagnosed me as Type 2, but did not give satisfactory answers to my concerns that I may actually be Type 1. (23 Mar 97)

50. Can you get better control with an insulin pump than you can with multiple daily injections? (23 Mar 97)

51. I am 26 years old and have been dependent on insulin for about 7 years now. I would like to know how diabetes affects muscle growth. What happens when your sugar is high and low during training and after training? I also run a mile after weight training; is this good or bad to do? (23 Mar 97)

52. Our 9 year old has been diagnosed with diabetes for a year and a half. We have just started with Lispro in the evening with good results. He is still using Regular in the morning, but when his blood sugar is high in the morning, we would like to use Lispro. Could Lispro and Regular be mixed? (23 Mar 97)

53. My boy is 20 years old. His glucose level drops sharply to 30-40 mg/dl very irregularly from three years old. Then he becomes unconscious. If he get sugar water, soft drinks, etc., he recovers. I feel it occurs when he is very tired or hungry. His doctor told me he didn't know the cause at all. Have you ever seen this? (23 Mar 97)

54. My 8 year old daughter was recently admitted to the hospital with a diagnosis of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). She had gastroenteritis for one day prior to admission. Her sugars ranged from 2.9 to 13.1. I thought DKA came when their sugars became high. Can you explain why she had ketoacidosis? (23 Mar 97)

55. My 2.5 year old nephew was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two weeks ago. He seems to be more negative and, almost hyperactive, at times. Do blood sugar levels affect the behavior of toddlers? (22 Mar 97)

56. My mother had diabetes. She died in 1972 at the age of 38. My last two fingers on my hands tingle and is numb when I work a while. I'm afraid of needles and don't know what to do. (22 Mar 97)

57. My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 3 weeks ago. We are still trying to regulate her insulin. We need help in understanding how to regulate it. We would like to know how to plan when to take insulin injections and when to eat meals and snacks in order to bring it under control. (22 Mar 97)

58. I recently had a very low reaction at night after I had given my insulin and had my snack. I treated it, perhaps too much, and had a reading in the morning. These high readings have continued today. Is there any possibility that the reaction I experienced a couple of days ago could have affected my sugars? (22 Mar 97)

59. Recently there has been some publicity on a possible link between Aspartame and brain tumors. Is this a valid fear? Is there any information in current literature about this, or is it a media beat up? We have a five year old daughter with IDDM, so the possibility of this link concerns us. (22 Mar 97)

60. My son is 17 and has had Type 1 diabetes for 4 years. He is very tall but thin and it seems I cannot get him to put on any weight. His calorie intake is designed for 2800 calories a day but this seems small. Any suggestions on how to get weight on a diabetic? (22 Mar 97)

61. My 27 year old daughter was diagnosed with type I diabetes about 5 years ago. She has had excellent control of her blood sugar until recently. They continuously reach levels as high as 15 mmol/l and average around 8.5. Should she be changing insulin? (22 Mar 97)

62. I have a 15 year old daughter who has been a diabetic for 4 1/2 years. Recently she began having trouble with very painful periods. After seeing her GP he suggested putting her on a low-dose birth control pill to ease her symptoms. He had no real answer as to the effect the pill has on diabetics. Can you help? (22 Mar 97)

63. My teenage daughter has very high blood glucose readings while she has her period and her pediatrician decided to try her on birth control pills and see if it would help. Her readings during her period continued to be high. I would like to know your opinion about using birth control pills to control BG readings. (22 Mar 97)

64. I'm a 26 year old male who was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about one month ago. My initial blood sugar reading was 425, and I was told to immediately and drastically reduce my intake of sugars. I went looking for a food counter that contained sugar count on various foods. Do you know of a book that may contain this information? (22 Mar 97)

65. Our daughter, age 10, with Type 1 diabetes for 1 1/2 years, woke up recently unable to talk or move her left arm. She was ambulatory, but couldn't speak. The docs in the ER thought she must have gotten to the 20's. (22 Mar 97)

66. My 6 year old son had an initial blood sugar level of 1200 with no ketones. Can you tell me why some elevated blood sugar levels cause ketones while others don't? (22 Mar 97)

67. Our six year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about three months ago. We recall our son complaining of blurred vision when he was three or four years old. He also complained of frequent headaches. Is it possible these were very early symptoms of diabetes? (20 Mar 97)

68. I've had diabetes for 35 years and don't seem to develop complications excepting for little retinopathy. One doctor said I was fortunate and I agreed. This sports doctor told me I had frozen shoulders and manipulated them both. Is this "frozen shoulders" a complication associated with diabetes? (20 Mar 97)

69. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia 6 years ago when I was in college, however, I am beginning to wonder if that is what is wrong. Instead of becoming lethargic when I miss a meal or snack, I become more hyperactive. (20 Mar 97)

70. My nephew is 9 months old. I've just been told he's in the hospital with diabetes. I've never heard of such a young child with this diagnosis and am wondering if there are other primary conditions that could result in diabetes in an infant. Any info on diabetes in this age group would be greatly appreciated. (20 Mar 97)

71. My son is 1 year old and was diagnosed with diabetes 3 weeks ago. Is it true that tight control on younger children with diabetes can cause brain damage? How can you control glucose without tight control? (20 Mar 97)

72. My daughter (age 12) was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago. She has Type 1 diabetes. We are unsure of what to do if she faints because of low sugar. Should we use glucagon as first choice? Are there other remedies? (20 Mar 97)

73. My 7 1/2 year old son experienced his first severe insulin reaction this weekend and I have some questions. (20 Mar 97)

74. My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes one year ago. We keep her blood sugars as normal as possible. Lately when in school her blood are very high (400-500). I believe it to be caused by stress in school. I have been going to the school each day and giving her an injection of regular. (20 Mar 97)

75. I was diagnosed with diabetes a year and a half ago and in the first 6 months I lost about 10 pounds. This past month I have had really good control, however I have also gained 15 pounds. Should I be worried about this weight gain? Is it common for a female my age (19) to experience something like this? (20 Mar 97)

76. A close friend of mine who has had juvenile diabetes for the last 22 years was recently diagnosed with the HIV infection. What resources are out there for him that discuss managing HIV infection and diabetes? (20 Mar 97)

77. Can Glycohemoglobin A1C tests be done with a finger prick? I have heard some hospitals have equipment that enables this to be done. (20 Mar 97)

78. Is it possible to do a blood sugar test from the toes (or any other body part)? Our six year old son does all of his checks from his fingertips and they are getting pretty raw. (20 Mar 97)

79. I am 41 and I have had Type 1 diabetes for 11 months now. Because of some recent incidents, I had to start taking an antidepressant (Wellbutrin). Does Wellbutrin affect diabetes? I never had emotional problems before having diabetes; are the emotional problems a result of diabetes? (20 Mar 97)

80. I work in a hospital as a Respiratory Therapist and I have a question about the Chemstrip sticks used to test neonatal blood sugars. How accurate are they when a newborn is in a lot of distress and blood sugars are very low? (20 Mar 97)

81. I was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes after the birth of my first child. I am really having a hard time adjusting to all of the changes: child, new diet, glucose monitoring, etc. How do you do it? (20 Mar 97)

82. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes mellitus after entering the hospital with DKA, blood sugar at 895. I was taking 60 mg of Prednisone daily immediately prior to this onset of DKA. I sought information concerning the side effects of Prednisone and discovered that "development of diabetes" is a side effect. (20 Mar 97)

83. My son is a star hockey player and very often he is playing games at 7:00 a.m. which is his usual time for his insulin injection. I have tried giving him a small bowl of cereal before the game and giving his insulin when his game is finished. The result are sugars over 25 mmol/l 1/2 hour into the game. (19 Mar 97)

84. Is there a role for chromium dietary supplementation in the control of insulin needs for either IDDM or NIDDM? Any difference between "GTF" chromium and chromium picolinate? (19 Mar 97)

85. My 8 year old daughter has had Type 1 diabetes for 4 1/2 years. We check her blood sugars six times a day and she is on Regular and NPH. Are there any "tricks" I should know about since going by the basic formula of increasing when high does not seem to be working? Also, Lispro insulin is not available here to try at this time. (19 Mar 97)

86. My three year old daughter was diagnosed 9 months ago. I am having trouble making any progress with potty training. Is there any relationship between her diabetes and her delay in potty training success? (16 Mar 97)

87. A friend of mine has a granddaughter who was using an insulin pump. She was given some frozen insulin by her pharmacy and since became very ill. Can frozen insulin cause illness and does it cause one's body to reject insulin treatment? (16 Mar 97)

88. I need more information on tolrestat. Is it banned? (16 Mar 97)

89. I have just purchased a hot-tub for the family and noticed that there was a warning about diabetics having to take extra care in its use. What precautions should I be taking and what should I be watching out for? (16 Mar 97)

90. My uncle in India has recently been diagnosed as diabetic. I would like to know what can be used as a substitute for non-nutritive sugar substitutes in recipes. (16 Mar 97)

91. I started on the insulin pump 2 years ago and have done well on it. Recently hearing about Humalog, I thought it could give me the edge I needed to get my blood sugars down to near perfect. Since starting Humalog, my after meal blood glucoses have been well, but my overall blood glucoses have been higher than normal. (16 Mar 97)

92. What are Alc's? My 5 year old son has been diabetic for 6 months. None of our doctors have ever tested for Alc's, however I have been reading about them on the Internet. Also what is Ultralente? This is something else I've read about, but don't know what it is. (16 Mar 97)

93. I have had type I diabetes for 17 years; I am going to be 21 soon. My question, or I guess, concern is diabetics who decrease their insulin so they do not have to eat. I am looking for a support group specifically for this problem. (16 Mar 97)

94. My 14 year old daughter has had Type 1 diabetes for 10 years. A year or so ago, I noticed her neck area in the back was getting very dark. I thought it was from a chain but realized it was her pigment getting dark. I hear that this is a trait of Type 2 diabetes and is caused from insulin resistance. What do you suggest? (16 Mar 97)

95. My daughter has Type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed over 2 years ago. We are having trouble keeping her blood sugars at good numbers. Do you have any suggestions? (16 Mar 97)

96. I have a 13-year-old female 8th grade student who has Type 1 diabetes. We have always had somewhat of a problem with her not following her eating guidelines, not checking her blood sugar at required times, etc. My question is, are there any ways to work on compliance with a teenager that have shown some success? (16 Mar 97)

97. I have a 9 year old sister with Type 1 diabetes. We are looking to give her the best diet to prevent complications in the future. Do you know of any reliable research that shows if Japanese or vegetarian nutrition habits are better to prevent complications than other cultures nutrition habits? (16 Mar 97)

98. We just learned that our grandchild was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes at age 10. What should we know if the child is in our care for a visit? (16 Mar 97)

99. I am 27 and have been a Type 1 diabetic for 2 years. Recently I have had a problem with weight gain even though I have cut out fatty foods and I exercise at least every other day. Is this an inevitable consequence of being diabetic? (16 Mar 97)

100. My husband has been a Type 1 diabetic for the past 30 years. He has had no other health complications due to his diabetes. It seems that every year, he is taking less insulin. Does age, exercise and length of time someone has been a Type 1 diabetic have any impact on insulin requirements? (16 Mar 97)

101. What are your guidelines for babysitters for children with diabetes? (16 Mar 97)

102. I have a 16 year old who has had diabetes since he was 13. He has frequent (once a month or so) nosebleeds. Is this connected to his diabetes? Should I be concerned? (16 Mar 97)

103. I have a daughter who is 5. She has granulomas on her lower body. Is granuloma a kind of symptom of being diabetic? I have a glucose machine; can I test her? How will I know if it is too high or low? (16 Mar 97)

104. My daughter, age 9, was diagnosed with IDDM in April 96. A recent trip to the doctor's in Jan. 1997 diagnosed a slightly enlarged thyroid. Blood tests were done and the results were negative. I was wondering if you could give me information on why her thyroid might swell like this, if the blood tests are all negative? (15 Mar 97)

105. I'm 36 years old. I've had Type 1 diabetes for 26 years old now. My sister also was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Two years ago my 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes as well. The reason I'm writing is to find out why no one has investigated our scenario in the diabetes research. (15 Mar 97)

106. My teenage daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 4 months ago. Now, however, she is on a terrible rollercoaster ride with her blood sugars and any adjustments made to her Regular and NPH insulins seem to be less than adequate. If this is the result of her honeymoon period ending? (15 Mar 97)

107. I was recently diagnosed with Type 2. My morning fasting levels are generally between 100-120, but my levels 2 hours after eating generally run above 150 according to my meter. Is this normal? (15 Mar 97)

108. Food labels now include the item "Alcohol Sugars." How should this be taken into account with my diet? I am a middle-aged adult male with recent onset of Type 2 diabetes. (15 Mar 97)

109. My 12 year old daughter has had diabetes for six months. We are having a problem with her not being able to recognize a true low blood sugar from a high blood sugar. Have you heard a similar story before or do you have any advice? (15 Mar 97)

110. My daughter is having a low consistently every day before lunch (ranging from low 50's to low 70's). If we have a 50, we usually see a high (250-300) in the evening (pre dinner). We spoke with her doctor and asked if this could be a rebound or an overlap of the two NPH doses. (15 Mar 97)

111. My little girl of 8 was declared diabetic 10 months ago. Do you think that the non-invasive blood glucose meters will be available in a near future? (15 Mar 97)

112. My husband was just diagnosed with diabetes at age 25. He is insulin dependent. Approximately two years prior to this diagnosis he had an episode of elevated sugar which was attributed to the flu. Can you recommend any articles which discuss the connection between diabetes and the flu? (15 Mar 97)

113. Our 11 year old son has been diabetic since age four and a bed wetter since around that time. We are as frustrated as he is about this and are willing to try any safe and reasonable course of action to help him with this problem. What can we do? Is this diabetes related/aggravated? (15 Mar 97)

114. Our 9 year old, with Type 1 diabetes, has been complaining of vision problems (blurry) the past 2 days. Her blood sugars have been mostly normal but has had several episodes of lows. Can the lows be causing blurriness? (15 Mar 97)

115. I would like to inquire about something regarding the injection sites. My son for the past six years has been taking his injections only on the left and right upper thighs alternately each day. He refuses to take it anywhere else. Is it okay that this is being done so like this or can it prove to be harmful for the boy? (15 Mar 97)

116. I know that diabetics have to watch their carbohydrates intake, but what about water? (15 Mar 97)

117. I am a 32 year old diabetic of 16 years. In the last year I have had terrible pain and inflammation, and lumps on the balls of my feet. Also, it is difficult to curl my toes. My doctor says tendonitis, but could this actually be neuropathy already? (15 Mar 97)

118. My daughter was diagnosed with IDDM when she was 10 weeks old. She is 14 months old now and seems like she is getting ready to walk, but she stands up only with her toes. Could this be because we do heel sticks 4 times a day to check her blood sugar levels? (15 Mar 97)

119. I have a friend whose sister has Down's Syndrome. She is eight years old. Recently I learned that doctors in the past could tell if one had diabetes by their breath. I've noticed that she has a fruity smell from her breath. I was wondering if this could mean she has diabetes? (15 Mar 97)

120. I have a question about my condition. I am 20 years old, and we are not sure if I am diabetic yet or not. I started out having severe hypoglycemia for a year, and now my sugars keep climbing higher and higher. Also, tested my urine and I had severe ketones in my urine. (15 Mar 97)

121. My daughter is two and a half years old. She is currently on a 2 injection regimen, pre-breakfast R to scale plus 11.5 units of NPH and pre-dinner R to scale. She is experiencing overnight hypoglycemia even on the nights that we skip her dinner R. Do you have any suggestions? (15 Mar 97)

122. I am 17 and have had diabetes since I was 10. Lately, my glucose readings have been all over the place! Very high and a few hours later, very low! Any ideas? (15 Mar 97)

123. I have been wondering for some time if there has been any research done on the possible help of certain vitamins for some of the complications with diabetes. Have there been any studies done, or do you know if vitamins may benefit diabetics? (15 Mar 97)

124. My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on the actual day of her first birthday. She is believed to be the youngest known case of Type 1 in my country. Is it rare for a 1-year old to get Type 1? Is it dangerous for a 1-year old? What is the youngest age you known of a Type 1 diabetic? (15 Mar 97)

125. My 13 year old granddaughter has had diabetes for 5 years. Now she is having problems with her stomach. My daughter said that it was called gastro something. Do you have information on this? (15 Mar 97)

126. I am wondering about infants and toddlers with diabetes. How are they diagnosed, and why is/are the test/tests done? (15 Mar 97)

127. I have been asked to teach a 16 year old female new kidney transplant patient about diabetes. Is there anything in particular I should focus on? Are there any immunosuppressant drugs that alter your blood sugars? (15 Mar 97)

128. My wife has Type 2 diabetes. She drinks a lot of diet Mountain Dew (a soda pop beverage) and they told her that she could not have it because it was putting her sugar level too high. Is that true and if so, why? (15 Mar 97)

129. I am a Consultant Pharmacist. My wife is a registered nurse. We are interested in obtaining Certification as Diabetes Educators. I would also like to find out if there are any good, current texts you would recommend in association with obtaining our goals of certification. (10 Mar 97)

130. Is it possible to have a two plus year honeymoon period? (10 Mar 97)

131. I have high morning sugars (140-160). I was told that sometimes too much insulin will cause the body to react and produce its own sugar, thus giving me a high blood sugar in the morning. Should I cut back on the NPH at night, to lower my morning sugar? (10 Mar 97)

132. I have two daughters (10 years old) (identical twins). They have had diabetes since they were two years old. Recently, their blood sugar levels are becoming more difficult to control. Can you give me any advice on this situation? (10 Mar 97)

133. Our 8 year old daughter was diagnosed this year with Type 1 Diabetes; therefore we have not been through a major holiday yet. How do we accommodate staying up later during the holidays, and some holiday snacking during the evening? (10 Mar 97)

134. My wife got diabetes at 26 and is 44 now, and under fairly tight blood sugar control, especially now that we want to get pregnant. She has minor background retinopathy, and the start of microalbuminuria. She gave birth to a healthy boy eight years ago. Can she preserve her eyes and kidneys if she gets pregnant again? (10 Mar 97)

135. My lovely daughter (18 years old) has had diabetes from age 15 and is insulin dependent. For one year now her blood sugar has been very hard to control (always too high). Now she has to check her blood sugar three times daily and this makes us very depressed! Is this normal for teenagers with diabetes in your country? (10 Mar 97)

136. I am an 18 year old college student and was diagnosed with severe hypoglycemia. I would like to lose the 5 pounds that I put on before college. Is there a protein diet or certain exercise program you could suggest? (10 Mar 97)

137. I am a 25 year old female and have had diabetes for 16 years. I have developed several skin discolorations known as Necrobiosis Lipoidica Diabeticorum. I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone can share regarding NLD. (10 Mar 97)

138. My son is an extremely brittle diabetic. He has been in severe diabetic ketoacidosis on several occasions. I live in a constant state of anxiety. Is there any one else that is in the same boat? How do you deal with this and your child without letting this cripple both lives? (10 Mar 97)

139. Our 3.5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 3 years ago. Although her overall control has been good (Hba1c = 6.2%), her blood sugar levels are quite volatile. In trying to understand some of the high readings (over 250) we think stress may play a factor. (10 Mar 97)

140. Can you suggest how to test properly in the night so I can discover if I am experiencing the Somogyi Effect? (10 Mar 97)

141. I'd like to ask you about the latest achievements in this field (the methods of treatment of Type 1 diabetes). (9 Mar 97)

142. Does being overweight really add to the cause of diabetes? Why is that? (9 Mar 97)

143. We are in the process of trying to adopt a child. A birth mother has chosen us as the one she wants to adopt her child to be born soon. She has epilepsy and Insulin dependent diabetes, Type 2. Is the epilepsy and/or this type diabetes hereditary? (9 Mar 97)

144. I have a 13 year old son who has been diabetic since age 3. I am about to start him on Humalog. I was wondering if low blood sugar occurs more quickly and does it change the symptoms the child might feel? (9 Mar 97)

145. My 4 year old son was recently diagnosed. How optimistic can I be about the long term health of my child from a realistic perspective? (9 Mar 97)

146. My 8 year old son was diagnosed 1 year ago. We live in the eastern time zone and will be traveling to the Mountain Time Zone next week. How do we adjust the timing of his injections (2 times a day) to fit our travel schedule? (9 Mar 97)

147. What side of the "normal range" is better to be on, high or low and by how much? What are the "pros and cons" of hypoglycemia and at what level are the cons really bad (short term and long term)? (9 Mar 97)

148. My daughter was diagnosed at age 4. She is now 7. Is there any reason why we should keep all of her old glucose readings / insulin dosage log books? How long should they be kept? (9 Mar 97)

149. I am 22 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago. I'm 5 foot, 11 inches tall, and weigh 155 pounds. Because of this I have been told I am true Type 1; however, my doctor insists I'm Type 2. Is there a test that can be done to prove whether or not you are Type 1 or 2? (9 Mar 97)

150. My ten year old son has been showing some similar symptoms to diabetes. He gets nauseated if his blood sugar level drops, he is always thirsty, and he is often fatigued for no apparent reason. His paternal grandfather, and paternal great grandmother both have diabetes. Is there reason for concern? (9 Mar 97)

151. Is the trauma caused by needle injections more or less than from jet injectors? (9 Mar 97)

152. Are mood disorders more common in kids with diabetes? (9 Mar 97)

153. Our grandson is 3.5 years old and has Type 1 diabetes. What have been the results of using the jet injector rather than the syringe for young children? Does it hurt less and is it really better with more control, etc.? Any other comments would be appreciated. (9 Mar 97)

154. What happens to insulin pumps when they're no longer used by that person? (9 Mar 97)

155. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my first child in 1990. I became insulin dependent shortly after diagnosis and needed increased doses of insulin weekly until I gave birth. Do you think I have cause for concern with the previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes? (7 Mar 97)

156. My brother (age 46) is a non-insulin dependent diabetic. For the last year or so, he has been suffering from acute pains in his back. Have you ever come across neuropathy affecting the back? (7 Mar 97)

157. While in the pharmacy the other day, a man told me that he had heard that drinking blueberry leaf tea reduced severity, and may even cure, diabetes. When I looked this up in a herbal remedies book it said nothing about it being therapeutic for people with diabetes. Have you heard anything about this? (7 Mar 97)

158. My grandson was found to have an insulin imbalance at birth and was immediately put on a glucose solution drip. Is this an early sign of diabetes or will his levels eventually balance with no further therapy? (7 Mar 97)

159. I wake up at 7 A.M. and I check my blood at 7:30 A.M. but it is usually high and I eat very little for my night snack. Then at school my sugar gets low at around 12 but I have eaten a lot (I think it's because of my exercise I do in school). Is it my diet or the time I eat that makes my sugar go high? (7 Mar 97)

160. I'm a 31 year old male diagnosed with Type 1 approximately 8 months ago. I recently started counting carbohydrates and using the new Humalog along with Ultralente. My question is how can my blood sugar be normal before bedtime and wake up to highs above 220? (4 Mar 97)

161. With a history of her father having diabetes, are the chances of my granddaughter being a diabetic? Does she need a glucose fasting test? (4 Mar 97)

162. I am not diagnosed with diabetes but think I may have it. Recently I have had sudden onsets of dizziness, nausea, headache and blurred vision. I feel better after drinking juice or eating sweets but, it doesn't last long. A friend checked my blood sugar level and it was 53. (4 Mar 97)

163. I'm a type I diabetic. I'm using 25 mg of Precose at lunch and 25 mg at supper. I do not use 50 mg with the three meals because it bother me a lot with gases but help me with the absorption of sugar. I've been OK with the actual doses without the problem of gases. Do you think it benefits me anyway? (4 Mar 97)

164. For children with Type 1 DM, do you think adequate blood glucose control can be achieved with NPH and Humalog at breakfast, Humalog at dinner and NPH at bedtime? (4 Mar 97)

165. My friend has just been diagnosed with diabetes. He is in a fraternity and has decided to stop drinking, however still smokes marijuana. He also says it is not any more dangerous for him than a regular person to do other drugs such as extasy, cocaine, or mushrooms. Is this true? (4 Mar 97)

166. Our daughter's bedtime blood glucose numbers are good after eating pasta, but they then rise as the night goes on. This seems to suggest that the carbs in the pasta release more slowly than the carbs in other foods. Our daughter is using an insulin pump so it would be easy to adjust the nighttime basal rate. Any suggestions? (2 Mar 97)

167. Our pharmacist is now handling a product called "NiteBite", containing uncooked cornstarch. The literature claims the cornstarch metabolizes very slowly, thus preventing nighttime hypoglycemia. Do you have any information on this product? (2 Mar 97)

168. The Children's Hospital here has recently been doing blood test screening for Celiac disease. It seems that quite a few children are showing the antibodies for Celiac disease. What are the risks of not treating the disease? (2 Mar 97)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts