Question:

From Guatemala City, Guatemala

I'm a type I diabetic. I'm using 25 mg of Precose at lunch and 25 mg at supper. I do not use 50 mg with the three meals because it bother me a lot with gases but help me with the absorption of sugar. I've been OK with the actual doses without the problem of gases. Do you think it benefits me anyway?

Answer:

Precose is taken to delay the breakdown of some carbohydrates and in this way it may help especially in Type 2 Diabetes where there may be a delay in what is called first phase insulin release, i.e. in the insulin release that is normally a very prompt response to a glucose load.

In Type 1 Diabetes control is more a matter of what kind of insulins you take, how much exercise you get, and what stresses there are in your life. Diet is still important; but the goal is to spread out carbohydrate load with snacks and to have a similar intake at the same time each day. Talk to your physician; but if you are getting gas problems with Precose you might think to try not taking it and seeing whether your control is any less good.

DO'B