Question:

From Longview, WA USA

I am not diagnosed with diabetes but think I may have it. Recently I have had sudden onsets of dizziness, nausea, headache and blurred vision. I feel better after drinking juice or eating sweets but, it doesn't last long. A friend checked my blood sugar level and it was 53. She is diabetic and said that was a bad level. Is it? What should I do besides see a doctor. I don't have insurance. I am a 43 year old female, 6', 185 pounds. No family history of diabetes.

Answer:

Your symptoms and the rather low blood sugar that your friend obtained suggest low blood sugars or hypoglycemia. This is occasionally a presenting symptom of Type 1 Diabetes; but very rarely of Type 2 or adult Onset Diabetes. Type 1 Diabetes at 40 is also very rare so that either way the diagnosis is improbable. If these symptoms are disabling you need to be seen by a physician and your local Health department would be able to help you find a resource if you have no insurance. You may also be eligible for Medicaid.

DO'B