Question:

From: Bonifay, Florida, USA

I'm a 31 year old male diagnosed with Type 1 approximately 8 months ago. I recently started counting carbohydrates and using the new Humalog along with Ultralente. My question is how can my blood sugar be normal before bedtime and wake up to highs above 220?

Answer:

It is possible that your blood sugars are getting a little too low during the night and rebounding in the early morning. The way to find out is to set the alarm clock for around 2 a.m. and get a few blood sugars at this time. If your bedtime blood sugar is less than 120 mg/dl you ought to add a glass of milk to your normal bedtime snack and if it is below 70 mg/dl you would be wise to check your 2 a.m. blood sugar anyway. Also it might be necessary to reduce or change your evening long acting insulin; but you need to talk to your doctor before doing that.

DO'B