Question:

From Florida, USA:

I wake up at 7 A.M. and I check my blood at 7:30 but it is usually high and I eat very little for my night snack. Then at school my sugar gets low at around 12 but I have eaten a lot (I think it's because of my exercise I do in school). Then I come home at 3 and I eat my snack at 3:30 and for dinner I check my blood at 7:30 and it is always high (I even checked my blood at 7 and it was still high); after that I eat my snack with my sugar very normal and I eat properly, then it's high in the morning. Is it my diet or the time I eat that makes my sugar go high?

Answer:

Sounds like the balance between your food, insulin, and exercise is off. I suggest you work with your physician and dietician to try and rearrange your insulin (and if necessary food patterns) to smooth out your blood sugars.

In many people, insulin starts to work faster or lasts longer than what you read in books. Every time you change your insulin dose, you should predict when during the day you should see a change in blood sugar. If the change occurs earlier or later than predicted, you may have to come up with an individualized set of rules to determine which insulin to change depending on when your blood sugar is out of range. Alternatively, you may find that you need to switch to a different insulin regimen to improve your blood sugars.