Question:

From Michigan, USA:

While in the pharmacy the other day, a man told me that he had heard that drinking blueberry leaf tea reduced severity, and may even cure, diabetes. (He said he knew 2 people who had drank this and been cured, although he did not mention if they were Type 1 or 2.) When I looked this up in a herbal remedies book it said that the tea stimulated uterine contractions but listed nothing about it being therapeutic for people with diabetes. Have you heard anything about this?

Answer:

No, I hadn't heard of this claim. And good for you for being skeptical, and doing some research!

I don't see any harm from using blueberry leaf tea if you like the taste, and if it's relatively cheap, but I wouldn't count on it for any medicinal properties that would decrease blood sugar. Be sure to check zillions of blood sugar tests if you want to see if it indeed has any effect on your diabetes.

There will always be quick fixes, or "alternative therapies," that will be touted as the cure for diabetes (and/or for other diseases). Unfortunately, the quick fix that allegedly does the job seems to change from month to month. Always remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't. (I've got a reproduction of an old snake-oil advertisement posted at my office: besides curing diarrhea and sore throat and a bunch of other self-limited disorders that would get better on their own, it's claimed to be good for removing paint from clothing, except from silks!)

WWQ