I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my first child in 1990. I became insulin dependent shortly after diagnosis and needed increased doses of insulin weekly until I gave birth. I don't know if I had a problem with blood sugar before this as I had never been tested.

With my second child who is only 16 months younger than his brother, I was going to be put on insulin again but they (doctors) decided he would be delivered within a couple of weeks and decided not to bother with the insulin.

That was in 1992. Since then I have had a negative test for diabetes but my physician at the time wanted me to keep monitoring at home which I did. Sometimes, not always, my levels would be above the normal range (not great increases but enough). Other times they would be fine. I recently lost over 30 pounds which puts me at 100 lbs, and 5'3". I am 35, and continuously thirsty, tired, and hungry. I eat quite well but am also under a lot of stress as a single parent (recent divorce) and full time university student. A blood test [6 months ago] revealed a significantly low ferritin level.

Do you think I have cause for concern with the previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes? What about the levels rising and falling with no significant reason for that?

I am finding the doctors here are not concerned with diabetes much especially since it has been admitted to me that they really don't know much about it.

Women who have a previous history of Gestational Diabetes have a definite risk of developing diabetes later in life; if you're presently having symptoms of diabetes (such as thirst, fatigue, hunger, and weight loss), be sure to recheck your blood sugar frequently. If the blood sugar is high at the time of symptoms, you've got diabetes (contrariwise, if your blood sugar is normal at the time of symptoms, you don't). Fluctuating, mildly elevated blood sugars without symptoms could be an early sign of the development of diabetes.

If your present doctors feel uncomfortable with managing your case, you have every right to request a referral to an endocrinologist to help analyze your situation.

A low blood ferritin level is unrelated to the development of diabetes.