Question:

From Kokomo, Indiana, USA:

My ten year old son has been showing some similar symptoms to diabetes. He gets nauseated if his blood sugar level drops, he is always thirsty, and he is often fatigued for no apparent reason. His paternal grandfather, and paternal great grandmother both have diabetes. Is there reason for concern? If so, what should I tell or ask my doctor upon requesting testing for him?

Answer:

Nausea is a common symptom of hypoglycaemia but you don't say how you know that your son is having low blood sugars. If he genuinely is then this is sufficiently unusual to warrant some investigation. The fact that you have a family history of diabetes is possibly irrelevant but, nonetheless, you should tell your paediatrician. You should also stress the thirst and fatigue. If he's also urinating more than usual, particularly at night, then early diabetes is a possibility.

A simple urine and blood check is all that's necessary.