Question:

From Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA:

My daughter was diagnosed at age 4. She is now 7. Is there any reason why we should keep all of her old glucose readings / insulin dosage log books? How long should they be kept?

Answer:

It would be nice if you could look at those log books and be able to derive a mathematical formula that would be individual to your daughter and would help in predicting insulin needs; but this is not yet possible. Keep the results that have accrued since your last visit to the doctor and perhaps the three months or so before that; but discard the rest.

DO'B

[Editor's comment: A few of my more obsessive-compulsive type patients like to look at all their old reports. Sorta like looking at old photos, I suppose: reminiscing about how things used to be. Most of the time, we encourage our patients to discard the older logbooks when the pile gets too bulky. WWQ]