From Pennsylvania, USA:

I have a 13 year old son who has been diabetic since age 3. I am about to start him on Humalog. I was wondering if low blood sugar occurs more quickly and does it change the symptoms the child might feel? Also, he was born with a VSD [a form of congenital heart disease, in which there's a hole in the heart] which closed at six months, but there is heart disease in the family. Is he at risk from Humalog?

Lispro insulin [Humalog® brand] works faster than regular, so a low blood sugar could develop faster with Humalog than with Regular.

Anecdotally, some people notice that their symptoms of low blood sugar from Regular seem to be slightly different from their symptoms of low blood sugar from a longer-acting insulin. I am not aware of any scientific data regarding this, but I suspect that the symptoms may depend on how fast the blood sugar falls. I have not yet heard anyone say their symptoms of low blood sugar are different on Humalog than on Regular, though many people say they occur sooner.

There is no evidence that Humalog has any adverse cardiac effects compared to Regular. (People who have angina, may have worsening of their angina with low blood sugar regardless of which insulin caused the low blood sugar.)

For further information regarding the available data regarding Humalog and heart disease, please refer to the letter written to me from Drs. Anderson and Bastyr.