Question:

We are in the process of trying to adopt a child. A birth mother has chosen us as the one she wants to adopt her child to be born soon. She has epilepsy and Insulin dependent diabetes, Type 2. She says she got the diabetes from her grandmother. My question: Is the epilepsy and/or this type diabetes hereditary? I am reading a lot on this and am interested in your response.

Answer:

Some forms of epilepsy are hereditary. I would suggest trying to get more detailed information regarding what type of epilepsy the birth mother has and discussing this with a child neurologist for more information.

You say the birth mother has insulin dependent, Type 2 diabetes. There must be some confusion. Insulin Dependent Diabetes is Type 1.

Both forms of diabetes are "hereditary," though not to the same extent. If a parent has Type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent), each child has approximately a 5 to 10% chance of developing diabetes in their lifetime. If a parent has Type 2 diabetes (non insulin dependent), each child has a 45 to 50% chance of developing diabetes in their lifetime. The risk of developing Type 2 diabetes can be significantly decreased by keeping one's weight normal. Studies are presently underway to see if Type 1 diabetes can be predicted and prevented.