Question:

From the UK:

I am aware that the theme of children's diabetes is huge and it's impossible to talk about it in general but nevertheless, if you could answer, I'd like to ask you about the latest achievements in this field (the methods of treatment of Type 1 diabetes).

Answer:

Amongst the latest improvements in clinical care for Type 1 diabetes I would list:

• The new lispro [Humalog® brand] substituted Regular insulin which has a shorter and more immediate action than Humulin and which can be given just after a meal to take account of pre-meal blood sugar and appetite.

• The new ultrafine point needle on some B-D syringes.

• The improved memory storage on the new meters like the One Touch Profile and the Accuchek Advantage.

• Understanding and accepting the importance of good control as soon as possible has been important;

• But perhaps the most exciting advances have been in the possibilities of delaying insulin dependence when diabetes is detected at the earliest stage.

• Linked to this is the hope that it may be possible to vaccinate genetically susceptible young people against clinical diabetes.

DO'B