Question:

From Florida, USA:

My son is an extremely brittle diabetic. He has been in severe diabetic ketoacidosis on several occasions. I live in a constant state of anxiety. Is there any one else that is in the same boat? How do you deal with this and your child without letting this cripple both lives?

Answer:

Any sizeable clinic will have several people in the same boat.

You don't give your son's age but I guess that he is in his teenage years because the pattern that you describe of recurrent DKA is particularly common then. You should ask your team about the factors that they think are involved with your son but frequently denial of diabetes occurs during adolescence and this can lead to many problems.

In my experience, the first step is to identify the individual issues then to get help in unraveling them. This usually involves a psychologist or psychiatrist with a special interest in diabetes. This is often a very tense and difficult time but the good news is that the majority of such patients eventually settle down. In the interim, the most important thing is to keep your son attending the clinic.