Question:

From Louisiana, USA:

I am an 18 year old college student and was diagnosed with severe hypoglycemia. Upon getting to college, I quickly put on the "freshmen pounds." I would like to lose the 5 pounds that I put on before college. I'm having trouble fitting into my clothes. I have a state-of-the-art gym on campus and have complete access to it. Is there a protein diet or certain exercise program you could suggest?

Answer:

You say you were diagnosed as "severe hypoglycemic." You did not mention whether you had a documented low blood sugar measured in a laboratory on a properly processed blood specimen when you were symptomatic or whether you simply have symptoms of low blood sugar when you eat a high carbohydrate diet or go a long time without eating.

Most people have the latter problem which can be treated symptomatically with a high protein diet and not going too long without eating, especially when you exercise. There is no special exercise program or particular protein diet that is more effective. You should probably aim to lose the weight slowly.

If you have had a true low blood sugar properly documented, you should discuss with your own physician the proper treatment and whether further evaluation is indicated.