From Jakarta, Indonesia:

I'm in full frustration. My lovely daughter (18 years old) has had diabetes from age 15 and is insulin dependent. For one year now her blood sugar has been very hard to control (always too high). Now she has to check her blood sugar three times daily and this makes us very depressed! Is this normal for teenagers with diabetes in your country?

For your information, her menstruation is still not coming regularly every month (she usually get one in four month). And it gets even worse for every month when she should get her menstruation.

Diabetic teenagers often are very challenging in terms of glucose control. The wide fluctuations in your daughter's blood glucose values may be a function of diet, activity, type of insulin and timing of insulin injections. Further consultation with her physician (preferably one who is experienced in managing diabetes) is indicated as well as discussion with a dietician to work out a better regimen of glucose control.

Irregular menstruation is common in young women and most likely reflects irregular ovulation. If glucose control becomes a problem during menses, then your daughter's physicians might consider starting your daughter on birth control pills specifically to regulate the hormonal activity of the ovaries. I would suggest a low estrogen type pill and you could consult your physician about specific brand names. The other possibility would be to use long acting progesterone (Depo-Provera). This is an injection given every three months. The progesterone will suppress ovulation, however women often complain of irregular bleeding when they first start treatment. Neither medication will affect future childbearing.