Question:

From Allentown, PA, USA:

I have high morning sugars (140-160). I take a dose of Regular before every meal. Before dinner I take 15 units of Regular insulin and about 18 units of NPH. I was told that sometimes too much insulin will cause the body to react and produce its own sugar, thus giving me a high blood sugar in the morning. Should I cut back on the NPH at night, to lower my morning sugar?

Answer:

You are correct in the belief that low blood sugars can be followed by high sugars without necessarily eating anything sweet. This is because a natural response to low sugars is to produce more from stores in the body. A variety of hormones are responsible for this. However, before you can conclude that this is happening to you, you need more information. You will need to check some 3-4 A.M. sugars and if they are low you should cut your evening NPH. Discuss the results with your diabetes team before making any changes.