From California:

I am a Consultant Pharmacist. My wife is a registered nurse. We are interested in obtaining Certification as Diabetes Educators. I would like to know if you have any pearls of wisdom for us. I would also like to find out if there are any good, current texts you would recommend in association with obtaining our goals of certification.

Some initial thoughts:

1. Definitely get a copy of the textbook, Diabetes Education: A Core Curriculum for Health Professionals, published by the American Association of Diabetes Educators, Second Edition, 1993. (Call AADE at 1-800-338-DMED.)
  2. Also, if you're not getting AADE's journal, The Diabetes Educator, look at the last few years' issues at your nearby health sciences library.
  3. Be sure to visit the American Association of Diabetes Educators website to learn more about diabetes education.
  4. There are numerous review courses for the CDE exam; talk to other nearby educators (listed in AADE's Directory) for their advice on which are worth considering signing up for.