Question:

From New York, USA:

My wife (age 34) has Type 2 diabetes. Her doctor is trying to control it with diet. She drinks a lot of diet Mountain Dew (a soda pop beverage) and they told her that she could not have it because it was putting her sugar level too high. Is that true and if so, why?

Answer:

Are you sure that your wife's diabetes doctor isn't mistakenly thinking that she is drinking regular (sugar-containing) Mountain Dew and not diet Mountain Dew? Diet Mountain Dew soda contains no carbohydrate and should not affect the blood sugar. I suggest your wife speak to her doctor again and clarify this.