From California, USA:

I am wondering about infants and toddlers with diabetes. How are they diagnosed, and why is/are the test/tests done? Do the parents bring something up to the doctor or is it a standard test at a specific age? Are the symptoms in infants and toddlers the same as adults, i.e.: extreme thirst, lack of weight gain? I ask because my now 14 month old son has since he was about 10.5 months old been drinking large quantities of liquids, at one year he was only 22 pounds, 2 ounces after a birth weight of 10 pounds, 12 ounces.

He wakes up in the middle of the night to drink between 20-30 oz of water then falls back to sleep, he will stop playing many times during the day to drink between 16-30 oz. of water then back to playing. This seems to be a bit much to me considering that he wets a lot, I talking about I change his diaper (pampers) and 30-60 minutes later it is so full of urine that it is leaking.

Am I just being an over worried parent or is this really something, I have brought it up to the doctor a couple of times and it just gets passed over?

A simple urine test for sugar in the urine should rule out diabetes mellitus in your child (diabetes with high blood sugar.) (There is another much rarer kind of diabetes - diabetes insipidus. In this condition, the child drinks and urinates a lot, but there is no sugar in the urine. To diagnosis this condition, you have to withhold fluids for several hours. Normally, urine output would decrease and the urine would become more concentrated. A child with diabetes insipidus can't concentrate the urine, so the urine output doesn't decrease even when fluids are withheld.)

If you are concerned that your child's urination and drinking are excessive you should ask for a referral to a pediatric endocrinologist, especially if growth and or weight gain are abnormally low.