From Trinidad, West Indies:

My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on the actual day of her first birthday. She is believed to be the youngest known case of Type 1 in my country. Is it rare for a 1-year old to get Type 1? Is it dangerous for a 1-year old? What is the youngest age you known of a Type 1 diabetic?

Although fewer children under the age of one get diabetes than toddlers and older chidden, it is not extremely rare. Diabetes can occur at any age. You can read the stories of many children diagnosed under 1 year of age in the Family Support Network section of children with DIABETES.

It is more difficult to control diabetes in young children because they are growing quickly. Their insulin and food requirements may change rapidly, they may be picky eaters, and they may be more prone to low blood sugars.

Updated January 16, 2006