I am 17 and have had diabetes since I was 10. Lately, my glucose readings have been all over the place! Very high and a few hours later, very low! Any ideas?

You are in for some hard work. I think that the first thing to do is make up your mind to do lots of blood sugars over the next one or two weeks. Try to do one test before all meals, some at bedtime, perhaps set the alarm at 2 am and get one or two then and do some in relation to strenuous exercise. If you have a One-Touch Profile or Accuchek Advantage or another memory meter, you can store the results and then have them printed out for review. Alternatively you can make out a Table and Fax in the results each week for your diabetic team to comment on.

When you have done all, this you can start by ruling out all the blood sugars that are above 80 mg/dl and below 150 mg/dl. Then look at the low values and see if you can relate them to any of the common explanations, e.g., a missed meal or snack or vigorous exercise. Do the same with the high blood sugars.