Question:

From Michigan City, Indiana, USA:

Food labels now include the item "Alcohol Sugars." How should this be taken into account with my diet? I am a middle-aged adult male with recent onset of Type 2 diabetes.

Answer:

Alcohol sugars are somewhat more slowly absorbed than sucrose and they contribute less to blood glucose levels than other carbohydrates; but in terms of calories they are equivalent to glucose. Although labeling regulations require that their content be declared they are not usually present in sufficient amounts in a normal diet to influence control.

DO'B