Question:

I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 at the age of 47 based on the office glucose challenge test. I am not on any medication.

My morning fasting levels are generally between 100-120, but my levels 2 hours after eating generally run above 150 according to my meter. Is this normal for someone who is not on any medication? I am just curious why my fasting readings are always normal, but the majority of my 2 hour's are above 150 if I do not eat right. Any thoughts?

Answer:

It's very common for anyone with diabetes, either Type 1 or Type 2, to have elevated postprandial blood sugars (elevated blood sugars after eating).

It turns out that it's relatively easy for the body to keep the blood sugar normal, or nearer to normal, when the body isn't processing food, compared to the first hour or two after eating, when the gut is delivering additional sugars and proteins and fats into the bloodstream, which makes it more difficult to keep the blood sugar levels under control.

WWQ