Question:

I have a daughter who is 5. Since she was about 2 1/2 or 3, she has gotten sick with the smell of food. She has thrown up more in her 5 years of life than I have in my 33 years. She also has granulomas on her lower body. It started on her bottom but then went to her calf and then to her feet. When she takes Pediapred, they clear up, then start coming back when she is off the medicine.

My question is -- is granuloma a kind of symptom of being diabetic? When she was about 2 1/2--a blood test showed she was diabetic. The next one was normal. I have a glucose machine; can I test her? How will I know if it is too high or low? What is normal? My mom is and I have aunts on my dad's side that are. On her dad's side her great grandfather is.

Answer:

I do not recommend that you test your child's blood sugar yourself with a home meter to diagnose diabetes. These meters are not accurate enough to tell the difference between a normal blood sugar and a mildly elevated sugar. In addition, some of these meters should not be used by more than one individual as there can be cross contamination of blood.

It sounds like your child has a complicated problem. I suggest you ask your child's own physician to test your child for diabetes if you are concerned.

[Editor's comment: Although Dr. Lebinger is concerned about the safety and accuracy of using home glucose monitors to diagnose diabetes, many people with access to meters will do blood sugars on relatives or friends, especially when there's a family history of diabetes. If such testing is done, the expected ranges of blood sugars should be known (ask your doctor or any nearby diabetes nurse educator, such as the one at your local hospital), and any abnormal result should be followed up with formal lab testing. WWQ]