Question:

From America OnLine:

I have a 16 year old who has had diabetes since he was 13. He has frequent (once a month or so) nosebleeds. Is this connected to his diabetes? Should I be concerned?

Answer:

It is unlikely that there is a connection between your son's nosebleeds and his diabetes. There are instances where aspirin has been responsible; but in any case you should use acetaminophen [e.g., Tylenol] rather than aspirin in his age group. High blood pressure can do this; but is essentially unknown at his age as a complication of diabetes. A rather more pedestrian cause may be in your heating system. If this is gas heated forced air and you do not have an effective humidifier it may make air in the bedroom at night very dry and irritating to the nasal mucosa. It might be worth trying an inexpensive humidifier in your son's room at night to see if this makes a difference.

If the nose bleeds persist and become more frequent and if there is no evidence of unusual bruising you may need to take your son to an ENT (ear-nose-throat) specialist to see if there is a small bleeding point that can be cauterized.

DO'B