From New York, New York, USA:

What are your guidelines for babysitters for children with diabetes? Many parents never get a chance to go out for an evening because they do not have family members or others who are willing to or comfortable taking the responsibility of staying with a child with diabetes.

My only pertinent comment is that I tell new parents at the outset that they must't become prisoners in their own homes and that they should ensure that babysitters know about snack times (and content) as well as symptoms and management of a hypo. We issue videos to all our new families and they have information in them - of course more suited to extended family members such as grandparents.

[Editor's comment: In addition to the usual advice to teach your babysitter how to perform blood tests, the best idea I've heard of is for the parents to obtain a numeric pager and ask the babysitter to send a page with the child's blood sugar reading whenever a test is performed. Parents can always be reached this way and need not worry about calling home to check on their child. Be sure to provide your child's school or daycare with the pager number. JSH ]