From Guadalajara Jal., Mexico:

I have a 9 year old sister with Type 1 diabetes. We are looking to give her the best diet to prevent complications in the future. Do you know of any reliable research that shows if Japanese or vegetarian nutrition habits are better to prevent complications than other cultures nutrition habits?

I am not aware of any reliable research on whether Japanese or vegetarian nutrition habits are better in helping to prevent complications. There is some evidence that vegetarian diets, with adequate protein for growth, have some benefits but data is not conclusive at this time.