Question:

From White Plains, New York, USA:

My uncle in India has recently been diagnosed as diabetic. I would like to know what can be used as a substitute for non-nutritive sugar substitutes in recipes, as Equal and saccharin are not readily available in India (plus he does not want to use them). Especially in recipes for jams, jellies and preserves. Also, will this harm the 'preserving' characteristic of the food?

Answer:

I talked to Dr Satish Garg here who used to be Professor of Endocrinology in Chandigarh and he tells me that Nutrasweet (aspartame) is available in India. This is a dipeptide of aspartic acid and phenylalanine so that it is essentially a natural product. You might also consider a root called stevia. The product, which is currently rather in vogue here in the U.S., comes from Panama or Guatemala; but I imagine there are similar climatic regions in India where it can be grown, though perhaps under a different name. Both products can be used in cooking.

DO'B