Question:

From the Philippines:

I need more information on tolrestat. Is it banned?

Answer:

Tolrestat was a product in a class of medications called aldose reductase inhibitors. It was being evaluated for use in the treatment or prevention of diabetes complications. I understand that it was available for purchase in some countries, but in the United States, it was undergoing clinical trials and was not generally available.

After thorough studies (to satisfy the US's FDA), the manufacturer came to the conclusion that the drug was no better than placebo, and withdrew it from the world-wide market.

WWQ