Question:

From America OnLine:

I work in a hospital as a Respiratory Therapist and I have a question about the Chemstrip sticks used to test neonatal blood sugars. How accurate are they when a newborn is in a lot of distress and blood sugars are very low? I recently tested a sample from a newborn and got a very low reading on the stick where it was reading zero. This baby was in a lot of respiratory distress and had to be placed on a ventilator. Is it possible to get a reading on a Chemstrip stick such as this?

Answer:

Chemstrip bG is a brand name for strips that can be read visually. Chemstrips are not a very accurate way to assess neonatal blood sugars. The lowest color is 40; depending on lighting, how hard you wipe, and other factors, you can get inaccurate readings.

The One Touch Hospital meter (by Lifescan) is FDA-approved for neonates (with a specific setting for neonatal blood) and is accurate at very low levels. The hospital's diabetes nurse educator can get more information about this meter and others, from the sales reps, and they can get the neonatal nursery to upgrade.

SS