Question:

From Atlanta, Georgia:

I am 41 and I have had Type 1 diabetes for 11 months now. Because of some recent incidents, I had to start taking an antidepressant (Wellbutrin). My questions are: Does Wellbutrin affect diabetes? I never had emotional problems before having diabetes; are the emotional problems a result of diabetes?

Answer:

Wellbutrin has no direct effect on diabetes that I am aware of. Some of the side effects which occasionally occur with Wellbutrin may mimic either symptoms of high blood sugar (dry mouth) or low blood sugar (dizziness, blurred vision, palpitations). It would be important to do more frequent blood sugar checks if you are having any of these symptoms.

I do not think there is any evidence that diabetes itself causes depression. Coping with diabetes, however, can be a major stress, and any stress can aggravate a pre-existing tendency to depression.

Depression from any cause can make coping with diabetes even harder. Effective treatment of the depression can make diabetes management a little easier. I hope that you will find life in general a little "smoother" with successful control of your depression.

[Editor's comment: In my adult patients, there's an additional use for antidepressant medications, besides treating depression: they frequently help alleviate chronic pain (such as painful diabetic neuropathy). WWQ]