Question:

From Illinois, USA:

Is it possible to do a blood sugar test from the toes (or any other body part)? Our six year old son does all of his checks from his fingertips and they are getting pretty raw.

Answer:

I would be hesitant to recommend sticking the toes to do a blood sugar test. I think it would be more painful than the fingers, and the chance of infection might be higher.

Years ago, before meters, we used to take blood from the earlobe to test the blood sugar. Many children felt it hurt less (though some children were scared as they couldn't see what was happening). It might be a little awkward with some of the meters unless you use a transfer pipette to collect the blood and then put it on the strip. Also, I would be careful not to let blood stain the child's shirt.

I would also suggest that you try to use the fingers using different lancing devices and/or the thin B-D lancets if you are not already using them. Many children think they hurt less.

If your child is not afraid, you can also try the lancet without the lancing device or even to lightly stick his fingers using an insulin needle instead. You may be more gentle than a lancing device. An insulin needle is even thinner than any of the lancets and hurts less if you get it just right (you only stick the tip of the needle into the finger of course!) Most children, however, prefer to use a lancing device in my experience.

The Glucometer Elite meter uses the least amount of blood of any meter, so you don't have to stick your child quite as hard to get enough blood.