Question:

From Simi Valley, California, USA:

Can Glycohemoglobin A1C tests be done with a finger prick? I have heard some hospitals have equipment that enables this to be done.

Answer:

Yes indeed you can do an A1c on a fingerstick sample of blood. There are several instruments that can be used; probably the Ames 2000 is the most common.

DO'B

[Editor's comment: The DCA 2000 is an office machine, that we use at my office. It requires certification by the US Federal Government agency, under a program called "CLIA," to show we're proficient at using it. It is extremely accurate, and can give an answer in about 6 minutes from a small drop of blood from a fingerstick. WWQ]