From Calgary, Alberta, Canada:

I was diagnosed with diabetes a year and a half ago and in the first 6 months I lost about 10 pounds. This past month I have had really good control, however I have also gained 15 pounds. I just recently started a new insulin regimen. I am having an extra 6 grams of carb before bed. Other than that no new changes in my regimen. Should I be worried about this weight gain? Is it common for a female my age (19) to experience something like this?

Without knowing a little more about your history and what sort of diabetes you are thought to have, it is difficult to answer your question precisely. Usually in Type 1 Diabetes, people lose weight in the months preceding the onset of the clinical or insulin dependant stage. When they start insulin lean body mass and fat stores are restored to normal levels over a few months. In Type 2 Diabetes (and in some of the rarer forms of Diabetes called Maturity Onset Diabetes in the Young) the onset may be precipitated by being overweight. Since a strict diet is often part of the initial treatment an initial weight loss may occur.

In both types of diabetes what may happen, if you are on insulin, is that the insulin promotes an increased appetite. This in turn increase weight and leads to insulin resistance and a consequent increase in dose and a persistence of the vicious circle. You need to discuss these issues of weight both with your diabetes doctor and with the nutritionist on your Diabetes Team.