From Seattle, Washington, USA:

My nephew is 9 months old. I've just been told he's in the hospital with diabetes. I've never heard of such a young child with this diagnosis and am wondering if there are other primary conditions that could result in diabetes in an infant. Any information on diabetes in this age group would be greatly appreciated.

I'm afraid to say that infant diabetes is becoming commoner so we see children in the first couple of years of life, not infrequently.

It is almost always a primary disease rather than being caused by something else. The treatment is the same as for older children but a lot of flexibility is required so that the child grows and develops normally. A skilled diabetes team with a paediatric dietitian is a must.