Question:

From Tallahassee, Florida, USA:

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia 6 years ago when I was in college, however, I am beginning to wonder if that is what is wrong. Instead of becoming lethargic when I miss a meal or snack, I become more hyperactive. Recently this symptom has increased though my eating patterns are constant.

Answer:

I assume that you have not become diabetic in the last few years so that I wonder on exactly what grounds your hypoglycemia was established and what the precise diagnosis was. 'Hypoglycemia' has been used as something of a refuge for otherwise puzzling symptomatology that often has a psycho-social basis. That you now feel energised by a meal is not unusual; but this seems to be more a response to a feeling of well being rather than to any specific metabolic response to calorie intake,

DO'B

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.