Question:

From Tallahassee, Florida, USA:

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia 6 years ago when I was in college, however, I am beginning to wonder if that is what is wrong. Instead of becoming lethargic when I miss a meal or snack, I become more hyperactive. Recently this symptom has increased though my eating patterns are constant.

Answer:

I assume that you have not become diabetic in the last few years so that I wonder on exactly what grounds your hypoglycemia was established and what the precise diagnosis was. 'Hypoglycemia' has been used as something of a refuge for otherwise puzzling symptomatology that often has a psycho-social basis. That you now feel energised by a meal is not unusual; but this seems to be more a response to a feeling of well being rather than to any specific metabolic response to calorie intake,

DO'B