Question:

From Springfield, Massachusetts, USA:

I've had diabetes for 35 years and don't seem to develop complications excepting for little retinopathy. One doctor said I was fortunate and I agreed. This sports doctor told me I had frozen shoulders and manipulated them both. Is this "frozen shoulders" a complication associated with diabetes?

Answer:

You are indeed fortunate to have escaped complications for 35 years, well done! Frozen shoulder is a rather fashionable complaint which seems to target late middle age in men and women who use their upper arm a lot, tennis players for example. It is not known to have any special association with diabetes although diabetics do seem to have a predilection for other conditions of tendon, tendon sheath and fascia, particularly in the upper limbs.

DO'B

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.