Question:

From Gainesville, Florida, USA:

I'm a 26 year old male who was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about one month ago. My initial blood sugar reading was 425, and I was told to immediately and drastically reduce my intake of sugars. I did so and am not able to maintain upper 100 readings without the aid of medication. In my efforts to continue this, I went looking for a food counter that contained sugar count on various foods. I was able to find a counter for nearly every other nutritional value but none had a sugar count. Do you know of a book that may contain this information?

Answer:

It sounds to me like you need to meet with a dietitian to explain in detail the diet you are supposed to be following. You say you have type 11 diabetes. If you are overweight, total caloric intake will also have to be reduced, not just the "sugars." You probably don't need to worry so much about the "sugar"" content of foods. You probably need to focus more on total carbohydrate content. (All carbohydrates are turned into glucose in the liver.)

Food labels in the US must now include nutritional information including a breakdown of calories, fat, and carbohydrate in each serving. Many food labels also include a breakdown of the total carbohydrates into "sugars" and "other carbohydrates." The "sugars" (which are a form of carbohydrate) may be changed into glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar faster than some of the "other carbohydrates," so you may want to choose foods that are lower in "sugars" when possible. Overall, the total carbohydrate information is probably more useful.

Additional comment from Dr. O'Brien:

Try Bowes and Church's Food Values of Portions Commonly Used by Jean Pennington, 16th edition, published by Lipincott. I am sure your public library will have a copy.

DO'B