Question:

From New South Wales, Australia:

Recently there has been some publicity on a possible link between Aspartame and brain tumors. Is this a valid fear? Is there any information in current literature about this, or is it a media beat up? We have a five year old daughter with IDDM, so the possibility of this link concerns us.

Answer:

Aspartame has been the target of this kind of scare information ever since it came on the market. The original trigger was a paper in Science many years ago in which it was shown that changes could be produced in the rat brain with very large doses.

I looked (by computer) in the National Library of Medicine catalogue and in over 7400 recent references on brain tumours there was none in which any link with aspartame was reported. So I think that you can set your mind at rest.

DO'B

[Editor's Comment: See also comments by Dr. Robert Moser, medical consultant for The NutraSweet Kelco Company. JSH]

Editor's comment added 15 Jun 97