Question:

From Seoul, Korea:

My boy is 20 years old. His glucose level drops sharply to 30-40 mg/dl very irregularly from three years old. Then he becomes unconscious. If he get sugar water, soft drinks, etc., he recovers. I feel it occurs when he is very tired or hungry. His doctor told me he didn't know the cause at all. Have you ever seen this?

Answer:

Very clearly, the problem is not diabetes. Sometimes unusual metabolic problems like the glycogen storage diseases can cause low blood sugars in circumstances like you describe. Your son would need special tests for this. In the meantime it would seem sensible that the way to avoid the problem is not to go long periods between food.