From Virginia, USA:

Our 9 year old has been diagnosed with diabetes for a year and a half. We have just started with Lispro in the evening with good results. He is still using Regular in the morning so that he can have a snack in the morning with his class, but when his blood sugar is high in the morning, we would like to use Lispro to bring the blood sugar down more quickly. Could Lispro and Regular be mixed?

Yes, you can mix lispro insulin [Humalog®] with Regular insulin and quite a lot of people do.

[Editor's comment: Of course, it'd be helpful to review any plans to mix the two "clear" insulins with your diabetes team. I authorize my patients to choose between one and the other at any meal: just be sure to remember which product should be given about a half-hour before eating (Regular) and which should be given with the meal (lispro). And some of my pump patients use Regular in their pump, and lispro by syringe when needed to "slam" down a high sugar level rapidly.

Mixing the two products into the same syringe is another thought completely. WWQ]