Question:

From Georgia, USA:

I am 40 and have had Type 1 for 10 months now. During Christmas, I got extremely depressed and angry about having diabetes. I convinced myself I did not have diabetes and quit taking insulin for a couple of days. My doctor convinced me to start taking insulin again. Since then, I have been put on anti-depressant medication. I have not had problems of this sort before. Is this emotional stuff due to diabetes and if so, how in the heck do you control it?

Answer:

Type 1 diabetes that starts at age 40 is very unusual even though it is known to occur. I bring this up because you might think to talk to your doctor about why he is sure it is Type 1 and not Type 2; for example, did you have antibody studies done?. The reason for questioning this is you might perhaps be a candidate for one of the new blood sugar lowering drugs like metformin [Glucophage® brand] or troglitazone [Rezulin® brand] and if you were not Type 1 and getting away from injections might help with the depression.

There is no evidence that diabetes of any type is a direct metabolic cause of depression although the stress of learning the diagnosis is a common way of precipitating the onset. The use of antidepressant medication is the usual first step in trying to resolve this burden; but it may be that you will need professional help to get over this, something you should keep in touch with your physician over.

DO'B